Goals of Program
Peak Performance USA seeks to disseminate asthma education materials and instruction that asthma is a disease requiring ongoing care. The dissemination of this information is to assist school nurses/administrators/staff to help their students learn to manage their illness and help them lead healthier, more active lives. The goals are:
- Increase awareness of asthma as a significant health problem.
- Increase awareness of signs and symptoms of asthma.
- Increase awareness about the environmental control measures to avoid triggers that bring on asthma episodes.
- Improve the knowledge, attitudes and skills of school staff about the detection, treatment and control of asthma.
- Define guidelines for effective asthma education in the schools and in the home.
- Promote a supportive learning environment for students with asthma.
- Reduce school absences due to asthma.
- Reduce disruption in the classroom.
- Help schools understand that they can provide the necessary support in the event of an emergency.
- Help the student maintain healthy lifestyle.
- Promote education to school nurses/personnel about student self carry and self administration of medication.