Sample Letter to Parents or Guardians from School
_______________________________ (school) is excited about the upcoming school year and looking forward to helping _____________ (child’s name) enjoy a successful year.
This year, our school is participating in Peak Performance USA, a national student asthma management and education program initiated by the American Association for Respiratory Care. This program and our regular school health services will provide the following:
- Access to the school nurse
- Help following your child’s Asthma Action Plan
- Asthma education for all students
- Asthma in-service training for all school staff at our schools
- Tools for Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Tools to promote a healthy environment in the school
We need your help to provide the best possible school asthma management for your child. Please help us with the following:
- Use the enclosed letter and form to obtain an Asthma Action Plan from your child’s physician.
- Please ask your physician to complete the enclosed Medication Administration form for any medication that is administered in school.
- Schedule a meeting with _____________(school nurse name), the school nurse to discuss your child’s condition, medication, devices, and environmental triggers. You will need to bring with you your child’s Asthma Action Plan, Medication Administration form and pharmacy-labeled medications. Please personally bring the forms and medications to school.
- Meet with your child’s teachers to establish expectations for maintaining communication and continuity during absences that may result from asthma episodes.
- Prepare your child by discussing and rehearsing the medication plan. Also talk with the child about school policies and how to handle symptoms, triggers, and food restrictions.
- It is important to keep the school staff informed about any changes in your child’s Asthma Action Plan—especially any changes in medications.
- Please keep your child’s medications refilled.
- Keep your physician apprised about this school’s programs for helping your child manage his or her asthma.
Thank you for helping us assist your child.
Principal (signature) School Nurse (signature)